Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I'm starting a general contracting business in Chicago. I'm

Hello. I'm starting a general...
Hello. I'm starting a general contracting business in Chicago. I'm considering forming an LLC as a holding company for future DBAs for each part of the business, including construction, cleaning/maintenance, and window washing. Can I have multiple DBAs in Chicago under one LLC to streamline my taxes?
JA: Can you tell me what state the LLC is registered in?
Customer: I'm registering it in Illinois
JA: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?
Customer: Nothing yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you
10/17/2017
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with extensive business law experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer: Yes, you can do exactly what you described. I used to work of a staffing firm and we utilized the same method.

Although, you may want to form separate LLCs for each of these different parts of the business. I know that this adds cost and requires filing multiple tax returns, but it does divide the liability for the business even further.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the response. I see that your based in California, could your response be applied in all states, in particular the state of Illinois?

I always appreciate a customer that does their due diligence.

I am based in California, but I made sure to check Illinois law before I responded to your question.

Roy Hadavi

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-royhadavi/ Or, simply request “Roy only” in the first line of your question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!

You're very welcome!

Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi