Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

My S corporation is a member of an LLC which has other

members in it as well...
My S corporation is a member of an LLC which has other members in it as well. Can my S corporation be the listed manager of the LLC in Illinois? All the members agree to having the S Corporation as the manager.
10/12/2017
RGMacEsq
RGMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

A manager may be a member but does not have to be. A manager may be another LLC or a corporation unless a state sets restrictions on the types of entities that may be managers of an LLC. Most LLCs are member-managed by default in most states. That is, no manager is selected and member management is assumed. Illinois assumes member management unless members agree to another arrangement, and does not place any restriction on who can be a manager. Thus, the S corporation can act as manager of the LLC.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the response. If the S corporation is the Manager, how would signing docs on behalf of the LLC work? Would it be something along the lines of the President of the S Corporation is the signer?

Any authorized signed for the S corporation could do so. But yes, the president of the s corporation, as manager for LLC, would be how it could be signed.

If there's nothing else, please rate this answer.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

RGMacEsq
RGMacEsq, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!

You're welcome, and again, good luck to you!

RGMacEsq
RGMacEsq
RGMacEsq, Attorney