Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

As a California based consulting business (registered as…

Hello, As a California based consulting...
As a California based consulting business (registered as LLC), can I legally work for entities in other states? For example, can I work on a consulting project for State of Illinois Department of Transportation or for the City of New Orleans?
Thanks,
Sara
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/3/2017
Roy Hadavi

Hi Sara. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Yes, you may. Also, if the work is being doing through tele-commuting, you would not need to register in any of the states that you are consulting for.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Hi Roy,
Thanks for your response. For the immediate project work I have in mind, I will be tele working with few trips to location so based on your response, I don't need to register with that State.
One follow up question is under what circumstances do I need to register with a State?
Thanks,
Sara

You're welcome Sara.

If you will be working within the state, then you will need to register your LLC as a foreign entity doing business within the state.

Hi Sara. Did you have any follow-up questions or need me to clarify anything?

Roy Hadavi