Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I want to understand more about the filing a patent and the…

Customer Question
I want to understand...

I want to understand more about the filing a patent and the cost involved

Lawyer's Assistant: What's the invention's purpose?

It is basically something that connects retailers and vendors (Vendor Portal).

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, We are licensing our software through another software company. We have a licensing agreement with this company on a revenue share basis. The agreement clearly states that we own the IPR

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Business Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/3/2017
Business Lawyer: Thelawman2, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Here is a patent treatise to aid you:

Whether by using hand delivery, mail or electronic filing, the actual filing of a patent application establishes the filing date of the invention for the purposes of establishing priority over other applicants and prior art in the field of the invention. The importance of obtaining the earliest possible filing date can not be underestimated. For the purposes of establishing the filing date, Rule 51(b) defines a complete application as one which contains:1

In as much as the basic filing fee and the oath (or declaration) may be submitted on a date later than that on which the specification and any required drawings are submitted, provided the required surcharge is paid, the filing date of an application is the date on which the specification and any required drawings are received in the Patent and Trademark Office.2 An application for which the filing fee is paid by check that is returned by the bank on which it is drawn as "unpaid" risks loss of its filing date.3

If all the names of the actual inventors are not supplied when the specification and any required drawing are filed, the application will not be given a filing date earlier than the date upon which the names are ***** ***** a petition with the fee set forth in 37 C.F.R. § 1.17(j)(1) is filed which sets forth the reasons the delay in supplying the names should be excused.4

The Patent and Trademark Office may issue a Requirement for Information when a question is raised regarding the propriety of an application, as, for example, in order to obtain enough information to determine whether an application was properly executed and, therefore, entitled to any filing date.5

Any papers received in the Patent and Trademark Office which purport to be an application for a patent will be assigned an application serial number for identification purposes,6 numbered in the order in which they are received. The applicant is informed of the serial number and filing date of the application by a filing receipt. All communications concerning an application should bear the identifying serial number.

I have also attached a patent filing fee table provided by the same treatise.

Thelawman2
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney