Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Pa Civil Case. judgment back in 2016 on a llC on a contract…

Customer Question
Pa Civil Case.judgment back in...
Pa Civil Case.judgment back in 2016 on a llC on a contract dispute back in April 2012. Judge removed the owners from the case in the judgment. Plaintiff could not collect on the llc. Plaintiff filed again in April 2017 against the LLC and the Owners. Almost word for word the same case but just added the a new section about hiding assets. Trying to pierce the operate veil.Going for a motion to dismiss on SOL ( past 4 years ) and Res-judicata. Motions court is held every day at 9 am and its different judges every day. Can I call the judges clerk that heard the case before and request him to hear the motion to dismiss.Plaintiff
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Business Law
10/2/2017
Business Lawyer: Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Richard - Bizlaw

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

You can make that request to the Clerk of the Court or to the Assignment Judge for the Court but there is no assurance that the case will be assigned to the same judge. Generally it is not proper to call the former judge's clerk because the judges do not determine case assignments, that is the Clerk's office or the Assignment Judge. I suggest starting with the Assignment Judge or the Chief Judge of the Court and make the request there. If they are not the correct person, they will direct you where to call.

If I have answered all your questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

What do most people do when they have this kind of issue. Do they just go to motions court and let that judge hear the case or do they do what I thought to do, try to get the judge that heard the case before to hear it again. Just trying to do the norm here.

When you have a case that is related to a prior case, it is not uncommon for the second case to be referred to the judge who handled the first. However, the relationship has to be brought to the attention of the court. That is why I suggested contacting the Assignment Judge or the Chief Judge. They will tell you how to proceed or whether a referral to the prior judge will be made. This should be done before the motion is heard.

Won't this have to be assigned anyway before the motion to be heard since I want the motion to be heard in front of the past judge. I do understand that I can take it to plain old motions court and let another judge rule on the motion but I rather see if I can get the past judge to hear at least the motion.

If you do not get Assignment Judge or Chief Judge to assign it to the prior judge before it is scheduled to be heard at the motion part, there is a very good chance that motion judge will just decide the motion and will not refer it to the prior judge. That is why I said you have to make the request now.