Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

My father and I are the sole owners of a domestic stock

Customer Question
California Corporation, we are also...
My father and I are the sole owners of a domestic stock California Corporation, we are also the only Operators and Employee's. When conducting business, we have been using our full legal business name that is registered with the state Secretary. We would now like to change the name to something more generic. Right now, the business name has my fathers first/last name in it, we would like to change to something more generic for the industry we are in. We are planning to ramp up our website and branding, so making this change now will save us money and time in reformatting those.
What are the legal implications and costs for:
1. Changing the corporation's name with a filing to the State?
2. Using a "fictitious" business name?
I am leaning towards opinion one so there is no confusion by the public or a client of what business entity they are dealing with but I will consider all advice, thanks
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Business Law
9/30/2017
Business Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 10 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Both are legal.You either change the corporate name which to me is easier or file a dba .

You can change by amendment here real easily on legal zoom, here is step by step and forms to complete.It is not hard at all and something you can do yourself.

http://info.legalzoom.com/change-name-llc-california-3246.html

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.