Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I graduated from Law school I took the bar exam in Florida,

Customer Question
but I have not yet...
I graduated from Law school I took the bar exam in Florida, but I have not yet pass the bar exam. Florida has completed the character and fitness investigation, and already issued me the notice of compliance. I just need a passing score on the bar exam to be licensed. According to Florida state law, upon the issuance of notice of compliance, the candidate becomes a certified legal intern in the state of Florida. My question is at this point, could I start a law firm and hire attorneys to work for the new law firm.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Business Law
9/30/2017
Business Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 7 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You could only pull this off if you had a supervising lawyer here and you work for them.Otherwise you need to be sworn in and licensed first.Please don't shoot the messenger.I am not sure it is worth setting this up with another lawyer and then switching it all around once you get sworn in.I know it is a frustrating dead period and you want to practice and get your business going.

Reference

https://www.floridabar.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/2017-RRTFB-Chapter-11-07-01-17.pdf

You can practice here under supervision of another lawyer until sworn in thats the best you can do ..

what is the normal process to practice under a supervising attorney. Does it cost money?

No usually you have supervising lawyer complete the paper work..

RULE 11

-

1.9 CONTINUATION OF PRACTICE

PROGRAM AFTER COMPLETION

OF

LAW SCHOOL PROGRAM OR GRADUATION

(a)

Certification.

A law student at an American Bar Association approved Florida law

school who has filed an application for admission to The Florida Bar, has received an initial

clearance lett

er as to character and fitness from the Florida Board of Bar Examiners, has

completed a law school practice program awarding a minimum of 3 semester credit hours or the

equivalent or requiring at least 200 hours of actual participation in the program, and

has had

certification withdrawn by the law school dean by reason of successful completion of the

program or has graduated from law school following successful completion of the program may

make appearances for any of the same supervisory authorities under

the same circumstances and

restrictions that were applicable to students in law school programs pursuant to this chapter if the

supervising attorney:

(1)

files a certification in the same manner and subject to the same limitations as that

required to be fi

led by the law school dean and files a separate certificate of the dean stating

that the law student has successfully completed the law school practice program. This

certification may be withdrawn in the same manner as provided for the law school dean's

w

ithdrawal of certification. The maximum term of certification for graduates shall be 12

months from graduation; and

(2)

further certifies that the attorney will assume the duties and responsibilities of the

supervising attorney as provided by other provis

ions of this chapter.

(b)

Graduates of Non

-

Florida Law Schools.

A graduate of an American Bar Association

approved non

-

Florida law school may qualify for continuation if the graduate has made

application for admission to The Florida Bar and received a let

ter of initial clearance as to

character and fitness from the Florida Board of Bar Examiners, and has successfully completed a

clinical program in law school that met the definition of a law school practice program under rule

11

-

1.2(a) and that awarded a m

inimum of 3 semester hours or the equivalent or required at least

200 hours of actual participation in the program.

(c)

Termination of Certification.

Failure of a post

-

graduate certified legal intern to do

any of the following shall result in the automati

c termination of certification:

(1)

failure to take the next available Florida bar examination;

R

RTFB

July 1

, 2017

(2)

failure to take the second available Florida bar examination, if unsuccessful on the

first administration;

(3)

failure to pass every portion of the Florida

bar examination by at least the second

administration, if unsuccessful on the first administration; or

(4)

denial of admission to The Florida Bar.

Which forms do I need to file?

I would email them here and ask what they need it may be a letter from a supervising lawyer is all that is needed.I don't see a premade form.

Email address or you can call them

https://www.floridabar.org/about/contact/

You need to be real careful here, you don't want the bar accusing you of anything you need your license you have come too far here , congrats on taking the bar and surviving law school.

Thanks again.

When I am practicing under a supervising attorney, what kind of things are my practice limited to.

You can appear in court here and represent people.I don't think it costs anything you are employed by supervisor lawyer.

Rules

Could I do everything that an attorney can do or could I do limited things only. And do I have to be practicing in the same office as the supervising attorney.

You will likely have to be in the same office, and yes I see no limits on the scope.The supervising lawyer has liability for the quality of work here.

Thank you for the information. Now, is there a formal name for this type of practice ? For example, ad hoc etc...

Law School graduate under supervision pending bar results..

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney