Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I am negotiation legislation for a group of small businesses

with a state agency. The...
I am negotiation legislation for a group of small businesses with a state agency. The agency is asking our industry for a price to provide a service we currently do not provide. To avoid federal and state anti trust issues, we will not discuss this in person. Instead I am planning to use a paper survey without respondent identification, asking our members what they would charge for this service. I would compile the results of the returned paper survey forms and give that to the state agency. Your thoughts?
9/28/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you send a letter out to all of the members, not just select members, asking them for the cost for that particular service without anything further, that would prevent any anti-trust issues, since you are not seeking to control or regulate the pricing, you have proof you merely asked for pricing quotes for a service. So the written requests for pricing information would be the best protection you could have against allegations you were trying to manipulate or fix pricing.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney