Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I'm trying to create and LLC. Debating if i incorporate in…

Customer Question
I'm trying to create...

I'm trying to create and LLC. Debating if i incorporate in CA or Texas. what are the advantages of doing business in Texas, do all partners need to reside in Texas?

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state the LLC is registered in?

We are DBA under another company that is registered in CA. But now we want to separate both companies and considering incorporating in Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What's the cost if connected with a Lawyer?

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Corporate Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Are you in CA?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Business Law
One of the partners resides in Ca and one in Texas. We are planning to have our office in Texas and distribution/shipping office in CA. Do you recommend incorporating in CA or Texas for taxes purpose?
9/25/2017
Business Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. One moment while I review your question...

Thank you very much for your patience. There are some advantages and disadvantages to filing in TX compared to CA. For one, TX has very low taxes and to my understanding there is no personal income tax. In CA, taxes tend to be very high. That’s really the biggest consideration as far as where to do business. One of the things that I would consider is where the source of your customers or clients come from and where most of the partners in the LLC live. Sometimes, the issues don’t come from logistics, but from getting the partners to see each other as partners instead of invisible entities. Thus, although not all of the partners need to live in the state to be registered there, it does make it easier to meet and greet and they do. Overall, there are no significant advantages to TX over CA, but keep in mind that where you do business and what your tax liability is like is usually going to be the biggest consideration. In your case, if the office is in TX, but the shipping is in CA, I'd recommend incorporating in Tx to save yourself some money. Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.