Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced lawyer
11313492

I own a company that pays a distributor for merchandise, I

I own a company that pays a distributor for merchandise , I got into some financial problems and my manager was floating checks till the clients paid their debt. My distributor noticed the checks were returned and arranged a payment plan , I made a few payments but could not meet the amounts they demanded . Now they are threatening criminal procedures towards me . Can they do that after accepting payments for the debt ? I have text showing proof of payments accepted and text of threatening criminal charges almost to the degree of extortion . Answers would be greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I am a NYC owned and operated business . My question is for a NYS LAWYER
There is no basis to contest your position, which apparently is simply being pursued in bad faith against facts and law. The matter is a civil one and there is a pattern of conduct evidencing a settlement. At most they can sue for the balance which would normally lead to a written payment plan. On review of your facts, you have a good case. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I knew that once they accepted a payment towards the debt , that the criminal aspect would be void . I also understand their right to the civil side . Thanks for the quick response and at least calming my fears of having to deal with the threat of criminal actions towards me . I am fully satisfied with your answer . Thank you .
Very welcome. Kindly rate me five stars. Leaving a bonus after rating is very much appreciated.