Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

There are a growing number of companies that create online

directories or provide online reviews...
There are a growing number of companies that create online directories or provide online reviews. Often the content is old or incorrect and certainly having incorrect information out there can be damaging. These companies often don't take any responsibility to keep their information up-to-date and often use 'freedom of the press' to post information and sometimes allow people to post unedited reviews that can also often be incorrect, one-sided and damaging to reputation.Are there any specific statutes that could limit information a company can post if it is found that they are posting incorrect or outdated information, essentially creating a burden on listed businesses to keep information up-to-date while at the same time often publishing information without the listed businesses knowledge or permission?That is a long question but basically I am trying to figure out if I can seek injunctive relief or some other kind of relief to get them to cease publication of incorrect information and possibly go after them for punitive damages for the millions of other profiles that are likely damaging listed company's reputations without their knowledge.
9/21/2017
Roy Hadavi

Hi Gary. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Unfortunately, you are correct that the First Amendment protects against the information. In addition, U.S. Communications Decency Act prevents any lawsuits against websites for publishing third party content. That includes reviews, comments, voting, forums, etc.

I am sorry, but there really is nothing that can be done about the website themselves.

Believe me that as a business-person and an attorney I wish there was.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Hi, I apologize for being a bit unclear. I completely understand about platforms allowing users to publish reviews and that being allowed. But, I'm actually talking about the BBB. The BBB regularly creates business profiles for companies. The compile that data based on 'publicly available' data but they do not update their records in real time. So, what happens is that they put together a profile from their sources and it might include employees, principals and other critical information but that information, at least in our profile, is wrong.I'm tired of contacting the BBB with corrections and I don't feel I should have the burden to keep their data correct. I think they need to have the burden of publishing CORRECT information.Are you aware of what can be done?

Thank you for that clarification.

There isn't something that can be done about this. I used to work for a staffing firm and the CEO and I would regularly review the internet for such mistakes on sites like the BBB and Bloomberg.

What about libel? If they are publishing incorrect information, that overrules freedom of press, right? Could I file an injunction and demand removal on the basis of incorrect and ongoing publication of false and misleading information?

You could try that route, being as the information is false and damaging to the business.

I have not seen it succeed, but that does not mean that it is not possible.

Roy Hadavi

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-royhadavi/ Or, simply request “Roy only” in the first line of your question.

Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi