Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

AN ESCROW AMOUNT WAS KEPT WITH A BUSINESS BROKER. THE DEAL…

Customer Question
AN ESCROW AMOUNT WAS...

AN ESCROW AMOUNT WAS KEPT WITH A BUSINESS BROKER. THE DEAL DID NOT GET COMPLETED AND THE BROKER DOES NOT RETURN THE EMD

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

IT'S A BUSINESS IN NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

NO

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

IT WAS A GAS STATION DEAL AND THE BROKER DEPOSITED THE CHECK BUT ONCE THE DEAL GOT CANCELLED DOES NOT EVEN PICK UP MY PHONES

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Business Law
9/21/2017
Business Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 11 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You should file a complaint with the state here against his license.

reliminary Statement of Complaint

The Department of State is committed to maintaining the integrity and competence of the licensees within its jurisdiction. Should a member of the public believe that a licensee has acted in an untrustworthy or incompetent manner, he or she may file a complaint with the Department's Division of Licensing Services. The complaint will be reviewed and an investigation will be commenced to determine whether the licensee should be disciplined. Both the licensee and the complainant are kept apprised of the proceedings.

A licensee who is found to be in violation of the law is subject to reprimand, fine, suspension or revocation.

Instructions for submitting your complaint:

You must print and complete the complaint form.

To submit the form via regular mail: After you have completed filling out your form. Please remember that you are
required to attach copies of supporting documentation for your complaint (receipts, contracts, applications etc.). Mail the form to:

NYS Department of State
Division of Licensing Services
Complaint Review Office
PO Box 22001
Albany, NY###-##-####/p>

•To submit the form via email: If you have Internet access, please attach and submit this form via email. Other forms
of filing will delay our response to your complaint. Please remember that you are required to attach electronic copies of
supporting documentation for your complaint (receipts, contracts, applications, etc.) Maximum file size is 10MB.

Make sure to follow these simple steps:

1. Open your internet email account and type the following address in the addressee field:
*****@******.***

2. Attach the completed copy of the “Complaint Form” from your computer to your email. (Note, you may also attach any other supporting documents related to your complaint to the email if they are available in electronic format.)

3. Press “Send.”

Please Note: the purpose of this email box is to accept completed complaint forms only.
No other inquiries will be replied to from this email box.

Complaint Form - English (pdf)

This should allow you to get your deposit back.

Additionally you have the right to sue here including legal fees for return of this deposit.I think a complaint here gets you your money back.They can sanction or revoke brokers license.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Business brokers don't need to have a license in nys, so I don't know if this will serve the purpose.

You may have to sue here and seek legal fees as well as damages.

Lawyer Referral and Information Service
1(###) ###-####br />www.Findalawyernys.org

Need an attorney in NYC? Call(###) ###-####

You can try small claims here without a lawyer.The Small Claims Court is an informal court where individuals can sue for money only, up to $3,000 in Town or Village Courts, and $5,000 in City Courts, without a lawyer. If you have a claim for damages for more than $3,000/5,000.

http://www.nycourts.gov/courthelp/smallclaims/index.shtml

Just trying to get you some options here.Thanks again and thanks for rating 5 stars.