Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I have a business law question. This concerns Kansas and no.

Customer Question
I have a business...

I have a business law question.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And have you consulted a local attorney?

This concerns Kansas and no.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't believe so.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Business Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/20/2017
Business Lawyer: KLAW, Attorney replied 9 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Attorney
Good afternoon. I am a legal expert attorney who will assist you today. Please tell me your question
I sold Santa Fe Signs in April of 2015. It was an asset sale and there is a three year covenant not to compete. The new owner changed the name of the company to Maxim signs. I did a search in Kansas for Santa Fe Signs and it was not in the state system. I am returning to Kansas to do business after April of 2018 which puts me beyong the covenant not to compete. Can I legally resume business as Santa Fe Signs or does the person I sold the assets to still own it?
Good afternoon. You cannot legally assume and do business in the name of Santa Fe signs because in the assert purchase agreement you sold the rights to the company and the name. The covenant not to compete only restricts your right to engage in the same business within the jurisdiction, and after the three years runs, allows you to once again enter the sign business. It does not give you the right to once again use the name of the business after the three years has expired.I hope this clarifies. Please don't forget to rate the question with stars so that I will receive credit and payment for assisting you with your question.
Business Lawyer: KLAW, Attorney replied 8 months ago
If you have any other questions please just ask
KLAW
KLAW
KLAW, Attorney