Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Can i file a defamation, libel and slander case in federal…

Can i file a...

Can i file a defamation, libel and slander case in federal court, if we live in different states?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state you're in?

Nyc

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

Still in the process of filing i did not fill out the paperwork and the courts sent it back with instructions

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The people are union officers

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/20/2017
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You can file a defamation suit in federal court assuming there is diversity of parties as you state.http://uscode.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode28/usc_sec_28_00001332----000-.html

As long as you sue here for $75k you can file such a suit here for defamation.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Thank you very much that helped me out greatly!