Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Texas. I am a shareholder and a note holder in a private…

Texas. I am a shareholder...
Texas. I am a shareholder and a note holder in a private company in Houston. I have given a partner my proxy of shares and he serves as my trustee with fiduciary responsibility. I just found out that the company moved corporate offices over two years ago. Although offices are still in Houston, I was surprised and felt I was not properly informed. Is this a violation and if so, please explain.
9/20/2017
socrateaser, Attorney

Failure to communicate is a breach of loyalty by a fiduciary or partner -- consequently your partner could be held liable for any damage that you incur as the result of the failure of notification concerning the company relocating its headquarters.

But, if you have no actual damages, then you would only be entitled to nominal damages from a court -- which means $1.00 USD. Likely not worth the hassle of a court action, only to make a point that you should have been notified timely of the business' relocation.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Attorney