Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

What happens if there's a judgment against an individual and…

What happens if there's a...
What happens if there's a judgment against an individual and a company in CA, if the judgment expires in 2022, but the UCC lien expired in 2017?
9/18/2017
Roy Hadavi

Hi Scott. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

A judgement and a lien are separate and apart.

As long as there is an unexpired judgement, a lien may be placed on any property in order to satisfy the judgement. However, if the judgement expires, then the judgement is void and no liens may be utilized.

Therefore, as long as their is an active judgement, even if a lien expires, the holder of the judgement may still apply for a new lien. Of course, there is nothing preventing the debtor from selling the property before a new lien can be placed on the property.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Can they attach a bank account without the lien, or do they need to reapply first?

They would need to place a new lien on the account. The expired lien has no bearing on the new lien.

Roy Hadavi

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-royhadavi/ Or, simply request “Roy only” in the first line of your question.