How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 5318
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to start a tutoring center in california to help

Customer Question

i want to start a tutoring center in california to help international students. what are the licenses and requirements needed to do this legally
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?
Customer: nothing yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. If you are going to be starting a business in California, the first thing that you need to do is develop a business plan. This is not a requirement, but it is something that he is just sensible for every business owner to do. I did the same thing before starting my law practice. As far as what you would need to do legally, those steps are a little bit more simple. A part of it depends on what kind of entity would like to start. If you would like to start a sole proprietorship, you just need to make sure that you register with your local city and county to do business as a sole proprietor. The state of California does not require that sole Proprietors register with the state. On the other hand, if you are looking to start a business that is separate from you, then you will need to file with the secretary of state. What I mean by this is that if you are looking to start a limited liability Corporation or if you want to incorporate this business, then you will need to click here to follow the steps.

To help give you some idea of what incorporation means, this means that your business is going to be a separate and distinct legal entity from you. This means that if your business is sued, your personal assets are going to be protected. However, it is important that you get the authorization from the Secretary of State to do so. The other thing that you have to consider is whether you're going to have employees. If you are going to have employees then you're going to need to pay payroll taxes and also withhold certain funds for unemployment insurance. That's a little bit further down the line, but that's it.

I have represented school districts in the past and I work in higher education in California for a number of years. I can tell you that if you are looking to start a tutoring center, you're not going to need any additional certifications or licenses to do so.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.