Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I'm in a canadian citizen and My girlfriend, who is

Customer Question
Hello. I'm in a canadian...
Hello. I'm in a canadian citizen and My girlfriend, who is american, and I were thinking about something. Is it legal to transfer money from a NPO registered in canada in a trust fund for medical coverage and education fee for her daughter located in pennsylvania?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Business Law
9/11/2017
Business Lawyer: Ely, Attorney replied 9 months ago
Ely, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I cannot speak for the Canadian side of the issue because I am not based in Canada. I can only speak for the US side. And US-wise, it is legal. It is completely lawful to transfer money from a non-profit (or a for-profit) to someone in USA, for a trust or otherwise. There is simply no oversight as to who the money is transferred to. It may be transferred to anyone.

Civilly, one may wish to ensure that the non-profit and the trust are both doing whatever is in their bylaws/instruments as necessary, of course.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.