How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 5162
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Need help with 501-c3 of a non profit organization. Please

Customer Question

need help with 501-c3 of a non profit organization. Please advice. thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions. Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
well i need to know the whole procedure of doing 501-c3 from beginning till end. Thanks.
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Great thanks! Just a moment...Remember, if you get an automatic phone call request and you would not like a phone call, you’re welcome to reject the offer.

Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Okay, thank you very much for your patience on this. I absolutely positively do not mean to oversimplify your situation, but many people have asked this question and I’ve looked hard for a site that helps break it down step by step. If you click here, you can find out the necessary requirements to help you get started with a non-profit specifically in NY. Again, I don’t mean to not answer your question, it’s just that is a trusted source that breaks down information in a meaningful and excellent way. Did you have any other questions for me?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well the link you sent me is just a website who incorporate the business. well we already have the corporation ready now we have to get 501-3c status from IRS and I was asking you the procedure for that. Thank you!
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Oh I understand. You'll need to fill out form 1023 (or a 1023-EZ if you are a smaller organization). You would need fill out the form (click here) and then submit it to It's a $275 fee to file. You'll want to check all of the necessary boxes and have an officer or director of the organization sign it then wait for the IRS's approval.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
can you send me link to efile 1023ez. Thanks
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Sure, if you click here, you can actually do an interactive form that will file it for you.