Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

From Sweden. Background: My father a Swe/US citizen signed

Hi! My name is *****...
Hi! My name is ***** ***** Sweden.
Background: My father a Swe/US citizen signed over his last 50% of the shares in his Florida based company, in Sweden. The signatures were only verified by a notary in Sweden. No 2 witnesses were present and signed the transfer of shares. No apostille were attached to the transfer of shares,as required by the Haague convention to legalise documents in the membership-countries. No company books were opened, since the books were still in Florida. No date for the transfer of shares was ever written on the documents, or all the documents for that matter. Only the date of signing.
Q: Are the documents legal in Florida? Ie is the transfer of shares to be considered complete and legal in Florida, this without a Apostile and witnesses, or do i as heir own 50% of my father Florida company?
9/11/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If he did this transfer in Sweden, even if it is a FL company, then it must comply with the Hague rules and it must have the Apostille and and it must be verified. So if the transfer did not follow law in Sweden where the transfer occurred, you have the right here to argue that the company was never transferred, since the form of the transfer was not legally valid under the Hague Convention rules and as such should be invalid and the shares should go to the estate heirs.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Hi! Sorry for the late response, i have been away. Would this be even if the documents were drawn in USA, and flown to Sweden, and signed in Sweden?
Regards Mathias

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, unless the documents state that the law applied would be US law, if they were signed in Sweden, the Swedish laws apply.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney