Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I want to hire a lawyer to send a cease and desist letter to…

Customer Question
Hi, I want to hire...
Hi, I want to hire a lawyer to send a cease and desist letter to a person who is slandering me. My question is how would the lawyer find out where this person lives. I know he is in Baltimore but that is all I know. All of his slanderous statements are on line.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Business Law
9/9/2017
Business Lawyer: socrateaser, Attorney replied 11 months ago
socrateaser, Attorney

Unfortunately, if you do not know the actual identity of the person posting the defamatory information about you, then a lawyer would have to: (1) hire a private investigator to try to befriend the defendant, and thereby discover his or her contact information; or (2) file a defamation lawsuit against the defendant as a "John Doe" (anonymous) defendant, and then subpoena the internet service providers to try to obtain the defendant's identifying information.

This could be a very expensive process. I suggest that the private investigator route would be less expensive than the immediate lawsuit route.

Regardless, based upon your stated facts, you are not ready to hire a lawyer to send a cease and desist. There is some groundwork to be accomplished, first.

I realize that my answer may not be exactly what you were hoping to read. However, under the circumstances, the best that I can do is to explain what the law is and is not, so that you can avoid expending valuable resources looking for answers that do not exist, and concentrate on the options that are actually available.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

I know his name and I know he is in Baltimore. Does this change anything?

You still need an address. If the name is ***** ***** that there may only be a few individuals in Baltimore who would satisfy the requirements, then a background search might produce all of the possible names, and the attorney could send a letter to each of the individuals suggesting that if they are the person posting the defamatory statements online that the cease and desist, or face legal action. That may get the person's attention sufficient to scare them off from further bad conduct.

But, if the name is, "Smith," "Jones," etc., then knowing the person's name will not help a great deal. Baltimore has a large population, and you could be dealing with 50-100 persons with the same name.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!