Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Are donations to a law firm (for the purpose of providing…

Customer Question
Are donations to a law...
Are donations to a law firm (for the purpose of providing funds for a Defendant's defense) attributable to the Defendant as income.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Business Law
9/6/2017
Business Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
It provides a benefit to him in the form of indirect payment. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Would the donations be considered "net" financial resources or income?
It is income. Donations are terms of art referred to not for profit organizations. These are more gifts and resulting income. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
What is resulting income?
Also, the client didn't use or have any discretion over the money.
finally do you have reference to an IRS opinion on this issue?
If the funds were used for benefit on the individual it is income. If person didn't benefit and didn't know if it then it is not. Can seek an IRS opinion letter as well on the issue.
Infolawyer, Attorney