Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I'm a sole proprietor. How do I do a dba in South Carolina?

I'm a sole proprietor. How...
I'm a sole proprietor. How do I do a dba in South Carolina? I have been doing biz under my own name for several years.
8/27/2017
Richard - Bizlaw

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

First you have to make sure that the name you want to use is available. You can check to see if your name is ***** ***** by someone else by checking corporate and LLC filings at this site. https://businessfilings.sc.gov/BusinessFiling/Entity/Search

You can also run a trademark search at the US Patent and Trademark Office to see if your proposed name conflicts with an existing trademark. Here is that site.

https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-application-process/search-trademark-database

You would register your dba name at the County Clerk in the county where your main office is located.

If I have answered all your questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

I register the name with the county clerk and when that is done, I can start calling my biz by that name, open a biz bank account, etc... ? Does the filing just associate my new biz name with my name and my social security number? Sounds pretty simple if that's all there is to it.

Yes that is all that is required. The filing allows anyone to find who the real owner of the business is when they look up the company name.

Richard - Bizlaw