Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I'm working on starting a small business, and have had

I'm working on starting a...
I'm working on starting a small business, and have had mentoring sessions with a non-for-profit organization. The mentors there took notes for my business about markets, customers etc. for those sessions.Wondered if it is reasonable for me to request copies of those notes, and if I have any legal basis to have copies of those notes. Thank you.
8/25/2017
RGMacEsq
RGMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

It's certainly reasonable to request these notes, but unless the contract (assuming that you had a contract in the first place) said that you had a right to these notes, you don't. They're actually the work product of the mentors. While they were developed for you with information that you gave them, they were produced by them and legally belong to them. So while you could request them, you don't have any legal basis to them unless there's a contract that is signed by them that says that you have such a right.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

Thanks for the answer. Wondered if you have any advice about how to request copies of those notes?

As you don't have any legal right, I would simply state the request in writing. There's no demand that you can make, so it's best to be nice about it rather than combative.

If there's nothing else, please rate this answer.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (30 minutes now) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

RGMacEsq
RGMacEsq, Attorney