Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Contract form for an event planner… Client is an event

planner and looking for a...
Contract form for an event planner… Client is an event planner and looking for a all-encompassing legal contract / agreement that includes items such as weather contingencies.
8/20/2017
lawyerJ
lawyerJ, Attorney

Hi there, my name is ***** ***** I'm a licensed attorney. I'm reviewing your question and will respond shortly. Please keep in mind all responses are for education purposes only.

Here is a basic event planning contract can be found here. Your client will want to add a "force majeure" clause and an inclement weather clause. I've included those additions below:

Force Majeure: Any delay in or failure of performance by either party under this Agreement will not be considered a breach of this Agreement and will be excused to the extent caused by any occurrence beyond the reasonable control of such party including, but not limited to, acts of God, power outages and governmental restrictions.

Inclement Weather: Alternate plans in case of bad weather are the Client's responsibility, although Planner can offer recommendations. Planner will be allowed delays for weather conditions, and Client agrees to indemnify planner for all weather-related issues.

If I've fully answered your question, I'd appreciate a five-star rating. If not, please let me know how else I can assist.

Client provided the following. What are your thoughts?Force Majeure
The performance of this Agreement by either party is subject to acts of God, war, government regulations or advisories, disaster, fire, hurricanes, civil disorders, strikes except those involving the employees or agents of the party seeking protection of this clause, terrorism, curtailment of transportation facilities, or other emergencies, any of which make it inadvisable, illegal or impossible for COMPANY to provide services or for CLIENT to hold this event. It is provided that this Agreement may be terminated for any one or more of such reasons by written notice from one party to the other without penalty.Inclement Weather
In the event that weather conditions impede on the event and either party needs to postpone the event, party will do so by contacting the opposite party no later than 24 hours prior to the scheduled start time, and the parties will need to mutually agree on a rescheduled date.
Should COMPANY and CLIENT mutually agree to proceed with this event, despite any of the above circumstances, CLIENT will be responsible for any additional costs that may arise.Unless a result of gross negligence or willful misconduct, the liability of either party to the other for any type of damages is limited to the amount of COMPANY’S total fees under this agreement.

If those are in addition to the common terms provided in the sample contract, those should cover both of those events. I would have her expand a bit on the inclement weather clause, as I imagine in her line of work people who booked her might become frustrated if an event had to be changed due to weather. I'd expand add an indemnity portion to that clause, saying: "CLIENT agrees to indemnify COMPANY from inability to perform to CLIENT'S expectations due to inclement weather."

lawyerJ
lawyerJ, Attorney
lawyerJ
lawyerJ
lawyerJ, Attorney