Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Party A has a promissory note from party that states that…

party A has a promissory...
party A has a promissory note from party B that states that party B owes party A 100k. Can party B buy goods from party C and then assign the promissory to party C as a payment for these goods?
8/18/2017
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by JustAnswer and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

Can party B buy goods from party C and then assign the promissory to party C as a payment for these goods?

.

No, because B was the one who gave the Note to A... A owns the Note..

.

But if you mean can A assign the Note to C, if there is nothing stated in the Note that says it is not assignable, and C is willing to accept the assignment of the Note for the goods, then A can legally assign the Note to C in writing.

.

.

thanks

Barrrister

sorry I reversed it. I meant "can party A buy goods from party C".

No worries, that is what I thought you meant so that is why I answered it that way in the second paragraph..

Barrister, Attorney