Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

This question is for legal eagle or any available civil law…

This question is for legal...
This question is for legal eagle or any available civil law lawyer...I have a civil law question. I need to respond to a Summons filed against me for old credit card debt. It was filed on July 18 and says that I have 30 days to respond. Today is 30 calendar days but I am wondering if I have any additional time based on how the court counts days?
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/18/2017
legalg
legalg, Attorney
What state is this in regards ***** *****?
california
Also, I can only find a PLD 050 General Denial form and I am not dening - I simply want to respond. which form should I use?

The relevant time frame is counted by calendar days, not business days:

You have 30 days AFTER the date you are served to file a response with the court. The 30 days include weekend days and court holidays. If the last day falls on a day that the court is closed, you have until the next day that the court is open.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/1322.htm

instructions on filing:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/1089.htm

Please see:

http://calcountylawlib.libguides.com/content.php?pid=695887&sid=5785281

The court only prepares forms for those forms that are most popular; here are a list of forms that are "pro forma" for responding to a lawsuit.

http://saclaw.org/wp-content/uploads/lrg-responding-to-a-lawsuit.pdf

If a party is not using one of those forms they would need to submit their answer on pleading paper.

http://sandiegolawlibrary.org/pleading-paper-template/

Then the respondent can put down all the information they feel is relevant.

If no response is filed the case will have a default judgment entered, entering the relief as requested by the plaintiff.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

legalg
legalg, Attorney