Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I currently am a few months behind in my car note yesterday

Customer Question
Good morning! I currently am...
Good morning! I currently am a few months behind in my car note yesterday I received aal call from a private investigator. She stated that my contract had been closed and that she was going to court today for an enforce order if I did not turn in my car by today.
JA: Is this a criminal or civil case?
Customer: I am not sure.
JA: What state are you in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She stated that if I do not turn in my car that this will then appear as theft and the police will issue a warrant for my car. I wanted to know is that possible or if me not turning in my car and the investigator going to court will they issue a repelvin? If so is a repelvin a criminal thing where they can put theft on my record?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Business Law
8/4/2017
Business Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Michael Bradley
In my 25 years I have never heard of getting behind on a car note being theft. If you get behind they can repo it. The issue is whether you can get the note current. That at the end of the day is most important.
I doubt the contract is closed. I am sure that there are provisions in the note that talks about non payment. The contract is open until it is satisfied.
Under the same logic if you get behind in your mortgage and if it foreclosed on you would not be prosecuted for theft. Theft is a criminal charge. In my opinion the only thing they can do is repo it and nothing can be done to stop that other than bankruptcy.
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley, Lawyer