Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Considering the obligations of a President Elect; does the…

Customer Question
Considering the obligations of a...
Considering the obligations of a President Elect; does the supervening party ever defer to that of the populace; for that of the given right to elect a president given the inclusion of singular vote and right of vote precedent; as for example if the given right were said to occur first by Vice Presidential subservience to that of open policy for which the veto powers are connected with United States policy and congressional districts under oversight; a congress elect and that of current process of voting; given Amendments 12 and 14; that of preliminary rule; and that of apportionment of voting right by the decision of the executive branch?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Business Law
8/4/2017
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 11 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am sorry, but what are you really asking? Are you asking if the electoral college is a valid process, because your statement above is absolutely not clear.
I am asking when and if is the case that a voting process comes up for finalization; if there are cross checks and balances in place for that of final tally; if it comes down to the Electoral College; the People, or the President; or if in the case of a Vice President Elect it is possible that the veto power per the 12th and 14th ammendment can be used to curtail a retally of the voting process once a person has been elected; and what safeguards are in place to determine the correct vote count in such a case as voter fraud? If there were a miscount or voting fraud; would even the Vice President not be able to prevent a voting recount; or if they would; and for what purposes it would be true that the voting count would be completely reliable. With a count that is low; it appears to me that these safeguards if an ammendment were removed would prove ineffective. I want to know what insurance there is to ensure a correct vote count; this is related to my first question; and apologize if my questions need clarification; I will.
Thank you for your reply.
At this point and time, there are no safeguards in place from what we saw in the last election. The states do a bad job in even validation of voters, letting dead people and illegals vote sometimes more than even one time.
Theoretically there could be a recount, but it has never ever happened in history.
As far as the electoral college, that process is antiquated too, but that was the safeguard our founders of the Constitution put in place to try to insure voting was done fair.
The only way to try to insure accurate voting is using some type of voter ID system and some type of secured computerized system or using a system like in some countries requiring thumbprint or retinal scan technology to validate voters and then to validate vote counts. This country seems to continuously reject such safeguards as too much control by big brother.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
I'll clarify my question after this 'background.'Is it possible given the outcome of an election being effectively undecided in going to the vice president elect; that the given safeguards that exist could be defeated against the electoral college; given any such inaccuracy in the voting count; as a consequence of a voting registrant and application being decided in favor of an opposing party by that of a tally not represented by the people; given that when the step of final tally was taken; there was an exception to that of questionable return in the district for which an electoral college representative chose their vote via error against the party of opposition who won?It does per your answer and what I know of the United States constitution that this is possible; and that per these questions; even if said law was established as a safeguard; it would automatically fail. If so the outcome of the election would be effectively undecided in favor of the opposition; a person would win who hadn't.

Thank you for your reply.

No, because the vice president is not elected separately. The president and vice president are elected as a package deal, unlike it was many years ago. So a vote for president is vote for vice president, the votes are not separated.

Actually, if the election is invalidated completely, the speaker of house is next in line until a new president can be elected.

As far as a electoral college person voting in error, once they cast their vote, unless some fraud is shown, their vote remains valid even if they made an error.

I see, so to summarize; that of the elect do hold a certain solid place among the voting rights. It is my conclusion then that given this is up to human error; we need not then fear a machine error in this light; such an error cannot propogate downwards through the system; and hence both votes in abstraction would remain valid; no matter the outcome unless dependent on human intervention or in particular voter fraud by a direct element of this system. This seems comphrensive enough that it does curtail all but the worst abuses; and that in fact the electorial college votes would be completely valid; straight through to the people; with only minor local exceptions. Thank you for establishing the precedent of consequence of order and effect in this for me; this is usually why I look to you.

Thank you for your reply.

Technically, the electoral college should not alter the true popular vote, merely confirm it. That was how it was supposed to have been set up and throughout history, despite all media reports in several presidential elections, not just this one, when all was ultimately counted correctly and illegal votes removed, it was ultimately found that popular vote was indeed confirmed by the electoral college votes.

The problem is the illegal votes and the state refusal to crack down on that and the special interest groups refusal to approve a voter ID system to prevent illegal votes. Even third world countries use thumb print ID to prevent voter fraud, somehow the special interest groups in this country believe we are too good to have such safeguards or perhaps they want to illegally vote.