Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

In State of Mississippi does a limited partnership

Customer Question
automatically dissolve if the sole...
In State of Mississippi does a limited partnership automatically dissolve if the sole general partner resigns without giving the limited partners the required notice required under the limited partnership agreement?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Business Law
8/1/2017
Business Lawyer: KLAW, Attorney replied 5 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Attorney
Good evening
Business Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

Be aware, however, this is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. The offer is not from me. There is no obligation for you to accept the phone call offer, unless you want. While I am happy to speak to you, if you wish, I am also happy to continue online. So, there is no pressure to spend extra money.

No, because the resignation of the general partner would not be effective unless it complied with the notice requirements.

Otherwise, the partnership agreement would control

Are you a Mississippi Attorney?

I am licensed in Illinois and Florida and have been in practice for over 30 yrs.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

i need an answer from a Mississippi attorney
That's okay I will opt out for you.
Thank You
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 5 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In MS, the law says if a general partner resigns the partnership can recover. The law also says if the general partner violates the partnership and does not give written withdrawal, the partnership sue the general partner. I will address dissolution after this section.
The law is as follows:
"§ 79-14-602. Withdrawal of general partner.
(a) A general partner may withdraw from a limited partnership at any time by giving written notice to the other partners. If a general partner withdraws pursuant to Section 79-14-402(a)(1) or 79-14-402(a)(2) and such withdrawal violates the partnership agreement, the limited partnership may recover from the withdrawing general partner damages for breach of the partnership agreement and, in addition to any other remedies, shall have the right to offset the damages against the amount otherwise distributable to the general partner. Unless otherwise provided in writing in the partnership agreement, in the case of a limited partnership for a fixed term, a withdrawal by a general partner pursuant to Section 79-14-402(a)(1) or 79-14-402(a)(2) prior to the expiration of that term is a breach of the partnership agreement.
(b) Unless otherwise provided in the partnership agreement, and subject to the liability created under subsection (a) of this section, a general partner who ceases to be a general partner under Section 79-14-402 shall:
(1) Retain the same interest in that partner's capital account, profits, losses and distributions, but that interest shall be that of a limited partner;
(2) Not be personally liable for limited partnership debts incurred after the person ceases to be a general partner, other than any debts incurred by reason of that person's being deemed to be acting as a general partner, pursuant to Section 79-14-402;
(3) Be entitled to vote as a limited partner on all matters except the admission and compensation of a general partner; and
(4) Have the partner's interest in profits, losses and distributions reduced pro rata with all other partners to provide compensation, or an interest in the limited partnership, or both, to a new general partner."
Under MS law, the withdrawal of sole general partner causes non-judicial dissolution of the partnership. MS Law states:
"§ 79-14-801. Nonjudicial dissolution.
A limited partnership is dissolved and its affairs must be wound up upon the first of the following to occur:
(1) At the time specified in the certificate of limited partnership;
(2) Upon the occurrence of the events specified in writing in the partnership agreement;
(3) Upon written consent of all partners, or such lesser number as may be provided in the partnership agreement;
(4) An event of withdrawal of a general partner unless at the time there is at least one other general partner and the written provisions of the partnership agreement permit the business of the limited partnership to be carried on by the remaining general partner and that partner does so, but the limited partnership is not dissolved and is not required to be wound up by reason of an event of withdrawal of a general partner if, within ninety (90) days after the withdrawal, all partners agree in writing to continue the business of the limited partnership and to the appointment of one or more additional general partners if necessary or desired; or
(5) Upon the entry of a decree of judicial dissolution under Section 79-14-802."
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney