Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I am a member of an LLC with 13% ownership. The LLC recently

Customer Question
launched an ETF on the...
I am a member of an LLC with 13% ownership. The LLC recently launched an ETF on the NYSE. The CEO of the LLC sent a "firewall letter" with the SEC that allows certain people to see fund rebalancing and the stocks in the portfolio before it is public. Also note I own the IP on the index that is calculated and rebalanced by WIlwhire and the ETF tracks my index. I am considered an insider as a beneficial member of the LLC with 13% though the CEO of the LLC says I am not entitled to see the rebalanced portfolio before iit is public. Is that true? I am an insider by definition anyway and I own the index? Thanks
JA: Can you tell me what state the LLC is registered in?
Customer: Yes, thanks. Delaware
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The LLC that launched the ETF is current with all filings and the ETF has been live for the past few months. It is now time for the annual rebalancing of my index, and hence the message came out to exclude me from info and the portfolio. There is a hostile situation going on between me and the CEO of the ETF company that I created and was squeezed out of. A separate matter. And I believe he is acting out of spite with false conjecture
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That should sum it up
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Business Law
7/31/2017
Business Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It appears to me as if they may be violating their fiduciary duties to you. As you know, partners in a business have a financial duty to one another including the duty of loyalty in the duty of good faith and fair dealing, but that can be adjusted depending on the kind of stock. For example, those with preferred stock may be entitled to some Insider information as opposed to bill is that may have some common stock. If that is the case, then you may not be entitled that information. You may want to check your operating agreement to find out for sure. On the other hand, if it's not listed in the operating agreement Who has common stock and who has preferred stock and whether the stock type entitles you to some information, then they are not acting in accordance with their fiduciary duties. You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Not sure if you understood this is an LLC where members don't have shares they have a percentage of the total membership. Sorry but your response was not at all helpful.

I'm sorry to hear that. Based on what you provided, it wasn't clear if the company had shares or not. Because I don't have the operating agreement I wouldn't know how the company is divided. regardless, as I had mentioned before, if there are no shares than your partners have a fiduciary duty to share this information with you. In fact, because there are no listed shares in there are no stocks with specific designations, then you would have a better case. Did you have any other questions for me?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know. Thank you.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer