Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

What state are you in,? what states of the USA do you

Customer Question
What state are you...

What state are you in

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any documents been drafted or filed?

?

Lawyer's Assistant: What confuses you?

What states of the USA do you provide assisstance with

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I will get connected with a lawyer? I just have a simple problem and was browsing google

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Business Law
7/31/2017
Business Lawyer: Thelawman2, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney

Hello, my name is ***** ***** is your question?

Hi, I recently filed my Pennsylvania State income taxes and now Im being audited for deductions I claimed as an independent contractor but I do not have the receipts... only my credit card statements. Is this acceptable proof to claim deductions?Thanks
Joseph

It depends. The problem that you could run into is that the credit card statement does not demonstrate that what you purchased was necessarily a deductible expense. Now you might be okay if the credit card statement is clearly from a store that would only have deductible items. For instance, if your credit card statement shows a purchase from home depot, the PA auditors might be okay with accepting that deductible. However, there are some stores where it would not clearly demonstrate that the item purchased was for a deductible item. For instance, if your credit card statement only shows purchases from Amazon, that alone is not going to be sufficient to demonstrate that it was a purchase that could be deducted.

What you may want to do is contact the store where your credit card statement shows you purchased an item from. They might be able to look into their systems and provide you with a receipt based on your credit card number.

I hope this has been helpful. If so, please provide a positive rating so I get credit for helping you today!

Thelawman2
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney