Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

This is a question about email law in the US. I regularly

Customer Question

This is a question about email law in the US. I regularly market to through email to doctors and chiropractors through lists I acquire on line, and always in conformance with the canspam act. I just found a list i can purchase of 18,000 chiropractors. I've never bougt a list before, always gotten them as posted on websites. is there any possible way i could get in trouble by purchasing a list from unknown sources? i have no idea where they get these names from. i want to stay completely legal but this could really help my business. Thank you.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
As long as your mailings are in line with Can-Spam, it really does not matter where you get the lists from. You need to of course check your lists whether you get them online or from this source. You can use the list, just make sure you follow the can-spam guidelines and you have a safe harbor protection.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you. I don't understand what you mean by "check your lists whether you get them online or from this source."we are very can-spam compliant, we unsubscribe immediately upon request. I assume these for sale lists are gathered using spiders, but i think that's no problem as long as we unsubscribe people upon request correct?

Thank you for your reply.

When you use these lists, you take a risk. The CAN-SPAM Act doesn’t require you to get recipients’ consent before sending them commercial email. So in general, as long as you follow the “initiator” requirements of the Act, you can send email until the recipient asks to opt out. But buying lists there is a risk that addresses on the list belong to people who have already opted out of receiving email from your company and if they have and you send an email without double checking the list against your opt outs you can be in violation. Additionally, you have a risk that the list was put together using illegal means like address harvesting or dictionary attacks and if you use those, as sender you can be as liable as whoever put the list together.