Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Does a non profit organization have to disclose how they

Customer Question

Does a non profit organization have to disclose how they operate business?
JA: Can you tell me where the nonprofit is registered?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Employees have received tax documents to file their own paperwork
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 months ago.
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.Disclosure pursuant to what?
Is there a court order or subpoena?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Disclosure as to how the business is being operated.There is no court order or subpoena pending at the present time.The organization is a sports organization set up doing business as a non profit listing. Bylaws for the organization have been requested and response to the requisition was 'There are no copies of the bylaws that may be shared.' The membership have paid money into this service and would like verification as to the operating parameters for the organization, or basically want to see where and what the money is allocated too.Does the organization have to disclose the information when requested? In what cases can the organization withhold the information of operating parameters; must they disclose it when requested, or must the bylaws be posted from the start of doing business as?G
Not clear on who is requesting it, please let me know relation of requester to the 501c
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR.
A non-profit is subject to public records laws, meaning they must disclose their financial information (budget, balance sheet, financial statements) to the public upon request. They do not have to disclose any confidential information, but they must make the general information available publicly pursuant to the public records laws.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.