Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Business question for Atlanta--East Atlanta Village

Customer Question
This is for a business...
This is for a business question for Atlanta--East Atlanta Village specifically. Business owner A rents a large space and she made stalls in half of it for other vendors, primarily 3 full-time food vendors, Business owners B (my kids), C and D. In June she said she was renewing leases when she came back from Vietnam in July. This means that no one of B, C or D has a lease but has continued to pay rent. 12-14 days ago she wanted to charge everyone $1700 for rent (my kids were paying $650 for 50sf). A few days ago she changed her mind, said she is selling the stalls, each stall will cost $30k.
JA: Does this involve a written or oral agreement? Is it a month-to-month lease or fixed term?
Customer: I didn't mean to send it yet. We had a written lease but when it expired, we went on month to month though without a lease. Everything from A has been oral, not written.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to know if she is in her legal rights to kick everyone out on July 28. Must it be in writing? How much notice? What are out legal rights? Everyone has pretty major commercial kitchen equipment.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Business Law
7/24/2017
Business Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Michael Bradley

yes she needs to give your children written notice as they are tenant, even though they converted to month-to-month after the original lease expired. She can simply not just throw them out. She would have to give them written notice to vacate and then if they did not leave, then they would have to file for a writ of possession and have them removed. I don't understand how she would be able to sell these stalls as they are a part of a bigger property and probably are not allowed to be subdivided.

In most situations your landlord does not need to give you a reason, although acting on a discriminatory motive is illegal. A landlord can simply give you a written notice to move, allowing you 60 days as required by Georgia law and specifying the date on which your tenancy will end.

Your landlord may legally provide less notice if you have not paid rent, if you have violated other terms of your rental agreement (for example, bringing in an unauthorized tenant), or if you have violated basic responsibilities imposed by law (such as by dealing drugs on the rental property).

Thank you for responding so quickly. She has given everyone a date of July 28 to be out of there. We've just come to realize that it is probably because she was given 30 days by the health dept to bring things up to code. My kids may be one of the few who is up to code, though that is easier with gelato than preparing food. She wants to sell the stalls to have enough money to do the renovations in the space. I wish she had been forthcoming with the information so everyone could plan for their own future or see if it would be possible to work out something together.

From what you're telling me, I do not think that the date she is given is legal. However, it may make sense for them to try and find a better location. It does not seem that she is doing anything or cares about the tenants just covering her own issues. I agree that it would've been easier if she had just come to them to try and figure out a way that everyone could work things out. Clearly that's not happening at this point which may be why it's a good time to look elsewhere.

Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley, Lawyer