Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

On March 3, was approached by a service marketing and

Customer Question

On March 3, was approached by a service marketing and trading Company. There known as The Professional Learning Institute.They screened me over the phone to see if I had the money to pay for the program. And promised that their company can help me start an internet business. They asked me personal questions to bring about my desire to own my own business by asking me whether I liked my job and the commuting time. In my head I knew it was a sales pitch but i listened.Next they transferred me to their senior sales associate who spoke about his financial freedom and lifestyle. He made it sound so easy to sell items over the Internet with their coaching and software. This guy was good, he was likable and pushy. He said this program helps it students find their selling niche, make the connections to buy from the manufacturer and set up a website to sell online.He then said the price for the program was 5500 dollars for 10 weeks of one on one coaching and other supports. I said I would think about it. He said no, you must do it now or the deal won't be offered again. I said I couldn't do it at that time because I had work. He said you don't have a few hours a week to devote to your future. I said I'd be interested in the summer, when I'm off. He said you can sign up now and we can freeze your account.After two hours I gave in. It was 12 pm. on Friday evening. I signed an e contract that gave me three days to back out by written letter through the mail. But there was no address to send the letter to.Monday morning, I called the salesman and left a message on his machine, so I called their customer service line. And asked for an address to send the letter. The person said you have to speak with some guy named Gary. She tried reaching him. He was unavailable but left a message for him to call me.I heard nothing on Monday, so I called back on Tuesday. And the customer rep said I would receive a call that night from Gary. He called. He was pushy and wanted to know why I dint want to remain in the program. I said it was too costly, and I couldn't commit to the time throughout the year. I was a teacher. He made some remark about my time to quit the program had expired but he would see what he could do to reduce the rate and urged me to take another day to think about it.Wednesday, I received a call from the original salesman. Who said he would not reduce the price for me. I would get the money back after my success with this course. He gave me some Internet numbers about how much was being made and he made it sound real easy.
Mad at myself, I agreed. He said he would be there to hold my hand. I again mention I can't commit during the school year. He says that's fine, we will freeze your enrollment.As I was off for two weeks in March, I tried the program. The program includes one twenty five minute coaching session per week, access to their software. I had some access but not all as I had not been trained on all, and webinars which I would have loved to watch but they couldn't be accessed on a tablet as it needed an adobe flash. This was extremely frustrating. I did say something to my coach at our first session. The first session he showed me around the website. We would work on selling items on eBay first. He explained how to write the blurb and my homework was to put something up by the following week. I asked about what to sell
(Finding a niche) but said I had to figure that out on my own. I rated his coaching at the end and I gave him a good review. He was informative. However, I learned that it takes a long time to set up an internet business. Far more than 10 weeks.The next week, I posted an item on eBay and used their software to set a price and wrote my blurb according to what the coach had told me. However, it really sunk it that the work load would be enormous and it would take me a long time to sell on eBay to make up the 5500 for the course. I had not heard from the salesman who had signed me up and I was going back to teaching. at the second coaching session, I told the coach that I wanted to put my membership on freeze and that I planned on resuming in the summer.I don't want to do reinstate in the program. Yes, the coach told me how to write an eBay blurb but I could have learned that directly from eBay. They made the program seem like it could get your internet business up and running in ten week. It can'tI looked up the company on the better business bureau and it has a rating of a D with 25 people displeased with the program Three people tried to get there money back and it was settled by because of the better business bureau. All these people went through the full course load.
And then asked for their money.Can I say they made it sound too easy. Would not let me quit. Couldn't us the adobe flash
I had 1 coaching session and software access for a week. Can I get 5000 dollars back. What should I do first?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sure. And thank you. I do have a copy of the contract I signed. Will it be helpful to look at

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

The tactics used on you to get you to stay in the program are quite fraudulent. How can you sign up online, but can only cancel by mail? How can you cancel by mail with no address provided? Then you were given runaround and then forced to stay in the program that you wanted to cancel. You should file complain against this company with your Attorney General's Office and the Better Business Bureau. What you would be seeking is full refund of your purchase price because you were misled and lied to. You tried to cancel but did not have the information because the company intentionally did not want you to have that information. The company wanted to delay until the cancellation period was over. This is fraudulent and the company needs to be exposed for this scam.

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you

You are quite Welcome!

Kindly take a minute and use the popup screen to give a 5-star rating to my response so that I can receive proper credit for addressing your concerns. There is no additional cost to you for giving a 5-star rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
As it was true that they said the time expired - after that, they gave me another sales pitch and put it in my hands to join or not.
Do I have any legal right to the money back if I say they kept calling and hounding me to say yes. That they made it sound so easy when it was not? That I couldn't view course on Adobe.
Or- is it that the only legal way to get my money back is that they made me believe my time expired?