Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Law educator, I have the following question and I am not…

Good afternoon Law educator, I have...
Good afternoon Law educator,
I have the following question and I am not sure if you are qualified to respond to this question, if not please forward this question to some one that is very knowledgeable in this area.
I have small accounting firm and I have an enrolled agent. I am contemplating to get a CPA as an employee to perform certain accounting tasks that is only allowed to be done by a CPA. I like to know if this is doable and if there certain restrictions that I would need to pay attention to.
7/23/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under CA law, if you are an accountancy business, an accountancy partnership wishing to practice accountancy in California is required to be approved for licensure by the California Board of Accountancy (CBA) before practicing or holding out to the public as an accountancy partnership.

An accountancy partnership must have at least two partners, with at least one of the partners licensed to practice accountancy in the State of California. An accountancy partnership with a non-licensee owner must have at least one partner with an active California CPA license.

So, as long as you have at least one partner who is a CPA and are licensed by the CBA, you would be able to operate in CA under CA law.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

I try to click to rate your service and it does not allow. Wish you the best. Thanks for your help.

Please try again, it seems the question did not post as an answer, but as an information request. That should be now fixed. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney