Michael Gonzalez
Michael Gonzalez, Attorney
Experience:  Managing Member at Perez-Mena & Gonzalez, LLC
93419235

Contractor (the defendant) abruptly quit the job without

Customer Question

Contractor (the defendant) abruptly quit the job without giving me written notice. He took my initial payment but did not complete the contract.
What is the point of asking the defendant admission questions during the discovery period. He can flatly deny each and everyone of the Admission request. What he got to lose?
May I send you his responses, so that you could guide me?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Michael Gonzalez replied 2 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.The contractor certainly can deny the Requests for Admissions but he does at his own peril. If it is found that he has unreasonably denied a Request for Admission, he may be ordered to pay attorney’s fees and costs incurred by you as the propounding party in proving the matter.Remember, that the cost of proof sanction is designed to compensate for unnecessary having to prove matters that should have been admitted. Thus, cost of proof sanctions can be awarded even if the propounding party lost the case.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Rating me costs you nothing. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will have few more questions on discovery after I receive the response from the defendant. I will leave the positive feedback after that.

Fair enough.