Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Can a lawsuit be filed for cause of action misappropriation…

Can a lawsuit be filed...
Can a lawsuit be filed for cause of action misappropriation of name/likeness where a business, without authorization, falsely claims a party is a "managing partner" of a limited liability company?
6/23/2017
LawyerDavid
LawyerDavid, Attorney

Hello: my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today with your question. A lawsuit may be filed for misappropriation of a name/likeness. The lawsuit would seek to have an injunction placed against the business to stop using the name, and would seek any monetary damages caused to the person if any can be proven in court. Please feel free to ask any follow up or clarifying questions if you have any. Thanks, David

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you know the statute of limitations? Person just discovered last week but likely has been going on for 4-6 years!

In California, the statute of limitations on a claim such as this would be three years from the date the plaintiff discovered the conduct. California Code of Civil Procedure § 338(d). See also http://www.christian-attorney.net/statute_of_limitations_fraud_misreprentation_california.html

LawyerDavid
LawyerDavid, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cool. thanks.