Michael Gonzalez
Michael Gonzalez, Attorney
Experience:  Managing Member at Perez-Mena & Gonzalez, LLC
93419235

My business will have three addresses filed with the state

Customer Question

My business will have three addresses filed with the state of CA: 1) Service of Process Address, 2) Entity Address, and 3) Mailing Address.If someone/another busines wants to sue my business, which county court he/she/it would normally file the complaint? The county 1) is in, the county 2) is in, the county 3) is in, or where he/she/it resides, or where we interacted with each other, or else? Thanks.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Michael Gonzalez replied 1 month ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.Depending where the transaction or occurrence giving rise to the lawsuit took place will usually dictate the County where lawsuit is filed. Also, in the minority of cases, the county where a vast majority of the witnesses or evidence is located could be where lawsuits are moved to.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the helpful answer. Just one clarification: I heard people like to file complaints at a certain local county court because that county has more science and engineering PhDs thus smarter jury, so what I heard may not be true unless the transaction or occurrence giving rise to the lawsuit took place at that county? Thank you.
Well, yes but it is hard to say without knowing the nature of the cause of action.For example, a slip and fall occurring on a property would only be filed in the County where the property is located.However, a breach of contract can be venues in several different counties.Notwithstanding, jury pools with a higher percentage of professionals tend to be more conservative and thus, a little more defendant friendly.For this and other reasons, where available, large corporations attempt to remove cases from state court to federal court as the jury pools tend to be more affluent, well educated and more conservative (ie tend to have lower jury awards than state courts).Keep in mind that in state court, the rural counties tend to have lower jury verdicts than urban areas.

It was a pleasure assisting you today, and I would appreciate if you would rate my service, so I will receive credit and payment for my work. After you rate the question you can ask follow-up questions, and you will not be charged any additional money for the follow-up questions. Rating me costs you nothing.