How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 1780
Experience:  Experienced lawyer
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like more information about the legalities involved

Customer Question

I would like more information about the legalities involved with starting an IV hydration therapy business.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: DC
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No Just to be clear This is all in an "ideation" stages at the moment
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at the moment
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Business Law
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
To add.I have a group of advanced medical practitioners that can administer medicated IV hydration fluids but cant do anything until there is some kind of medical insurance in place for the business.
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

Can you explain a little more to me what legal information you are requesting?

"The therapies provided in elective hydration clinics all fall under medical services, and thus requires the license and oversight of a medical doctor. The facilities should be licensed as a clinic or a doctor’s office in order to provide medical services. However, due to the nature of this business, it is becoming commoditized with several aspects blending into a retail business model."

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Correct.Basically, IV hydration therapy for people who may have had a little too much to drink and need help feeling better to cure their hangover the day after. We would also like to provide IV hydration therapy to athletes to put essential vitamins and minerals back into their bodies after a 5k, Spartan Race, Full marathon, cross fit competition, etc.None of the IV hydration therapy fluids or medications administered will contain controlled substances.Can board certified Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants run their own IV hydration therapy business? Does a medical doctor have to be part of the "equation" considering we have NP's as our medical provider?Also considering that in the District of Columbia, Nurse Practitioners can practice independently without physician oversight.If so, how far does that scope of practice reach? Can registered paramedics and registered nurses practice under standing NP orders?
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 5 months ago.

It seems your question is more about liability. Is that correct?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that's correct.Also, can we employ Paramedics, Registered Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, and Physician Assistants to administer the IV fluids to our "patients"?I assume the answer is going to be YES but do we have to have a medical doctor involved considering one of the business founder/partner is a license and practicing Nurse Practitioner from Washington DC. Considering, as stated above, NPs have the the ability to practice without physician oversight.