How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 117395
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Workers Compensation NJ. S-Corp I am the President and

Customer Question

Workers Compensation NJ. S-Corp I am the President and basically have been only person, had different plans but I suffered a major set back that basically destroyed all and now I am desperate. I had major spine problem due to the nature of my work, over 20 hours sitting down most days, no vacations, rarely took weekends. The problem was so serious that I could not walk or sit, I spend almost 3 years in bed because I was in excruciating pain. I had to continue working because I am single and this is my only source of income, lucky that also for the nature of my work I was able to work remotely and at any hour so I was able to work from bed but damaged my neck with similar diagnostic but less severe. After 2 spine surgeries only lower back I am walking since end of 2014, diagnostic from neck was 2015. Major consecuence from these health problems was the fact that I could not take new clients or do marketing and expand as I planed and I lost my last clients for different reasons, even though I did an enormous effort to keep my health aside. I have not been able to find clients or a job. I understand the Workers Compensation is for work related injured workers and I think I fall into this category. I need help to see if I can get some help, really, really desperate, just that firth was trying to recover my health. Not only spend enormous amount on medical bills even though I had health insurance but there is no income for a long time now.
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Did you pay for workers compensation insurance, since company owners are generally exempt from having workers compensation? Furthermore, if you did not file a claim within 2 years under NJ law from the date of the injury manifesting itself, then the statute of limitations to file such a claim has expired.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have been paying Workers Compensation, the diagnostic for the neck still not two years and downfall of my Company, I have been in surviving mode for last 5 years, prioritizing, first getting back some of the health, while working and now just plain surviving not sure what to do....
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your reply.
So you need to immediately file your workers compensation claim for a repetitive task occupational disease/injury and you will need to submit your doctor's medical reports explaining how this injury was caused by your employment in the course and scope of your work. You will need to identify a specific date and action you were engaged in for work when the symptoms manifested themselves. Workers compensation is likely going to try to dispute the claim based on how long it took you to file, but if your medical records show that this is work related and you can point to a particular date and action in the course and scope of your work that caused these last symptoms to appear, you would be able to prevail and if they dispute your claim, you would need a local workers compensation attorney to represent you and file the workers compensation suit against the insurer.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I looked online before, but not sure how to find help, how to start filing the claim myself, thats why I decided to come here, I have used this site a few times before.
I am telling you, I am not sure if its the state but its hard to just pick one professional without reference. I went to over 20 Doctors to help me diagnose my back thats why it took 3 years in bed. bad, bad , bad..... Is there any website, association to find the lawyers by specialty with referral ? Please!!
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for your reply.

You need to contact workers compensation and file first report of injury:

And send a copy to your workers compensation insurer if it is other than the state. That beins your claim.

As far as getting a good workers compensation attorney near you, the best we can do is suggest you use the same sites used by attorneys, or and you can get a qualified attorney nearby from one of those sites.

Related Business Law Questions