Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I have a corporate entity that operates a courier business.

The only asset of the...
I have a corporate entity that operates a courier business. The only asset of the firm is trucks and contracts with customers. I want to form a separate corporate entity or LLC and transfer all truck titles to this new corporation B so as to limit liability on the first, existing, company A. Can creditors of company A go after assets of company B under the assertion that company B is an "alger ego"?
5/15/2017
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs, and I look forward to assisting you.

Your plan is a good idea. No, if you treat both entities as separate they will be protected from each other's claims.

You will want a written agreement and monthly payments form the courier service to the truck owning entity for the use of the trucks. That will protect alter ego claims.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for your direct response. Will it make a difference whether company B is a corporation or LLC?

I prefer LLCs.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do I, thus the question. Finally, I am located in CA. Do you foresee any issues with the above given the complexity of the state laws in this wonderful state?

I am not a CA attorney, but your business purpose is straightforward and not uncommon. So, I think you have the broad strokes down. For the details and documentation retain a CA business attorney and it should be fine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok. thanks

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney