Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

When a longstanding customer (a layman) of a Legal Advisory

Customer Question
and Lawyer Referral subscription service...
When a longstanding customer (a layman) of a Legal Advisory and Lawyer Referral subscription service (the "Subscription Service") who is in immediate need of a legal advisory and lawyer referral -- is denied service by the Subscription Service -- and is not given any reason for such denial, putting the customer in a disadvantageous legal position by potentially having to go to court pro se (representing self and without an attorney) -- is the Subscription Service LIABLE for any damages or financial loss to the customer as a result of the customer having to go to court pro se or to an attorney outside the pool of Subscription Service attorneys previously availed by the customer via their subscription, such attorneys having previously provided the customer with in-court legal services at a subscription discount to the attorneys' standard rate?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Business Law
5/12/2017
Business Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 6 months ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I hate to punt here, but there is no choice. Whether you have a claim against the legal service will entirely be based on what your contract with them holds. If they had a contractual obligation to you to provide the service that you allege that they did not provide, then yes, they would be in Breach of Contract and you could sue for damages arising out of that breach.

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

What happened was that my credit card on file with the Subscription Service merely came to it's expiration date and a new card (now with chip) was automatically issued to me by mail. But the updated expiration date (now 5 years forward) was not communicated to the Subscription Service so they could not charge my expired card and decided simply to cancel my membership. But when I called with updated card information, they STILL would not reinstate and would not give a reason why, putting me at great disadvantage when I need an attorney immediately and had been paying for and relying on this attorney referral service for years. The discount they provide on legal fees for attorneys in their network is 25%. After I hire an attorney and pay their full fee, could I use 25% of that fee as the amount of my damages as a result of their unexplained non-renewal of my subscription? I'm guessing I would have to hire an attorney in their network although there is no way for me to ascertain which attorneys are in their network if I am now no longer a subscriber. I can ask the attorneys, 1 at a time, as to their membership in this Subscription Service network. But that is a laborious and time consuming process and may require days or weeks of telephone tag just trying to reach each prospective attorney by phone -- i.e. days and weeks I don't have at this time. So if I hire an out-of-network attorney, could I still use 25% of their fee (assuming their fees are on market / within the local average for attorneys of this kind) as the amount of my damages should I sue the Subscription Service?

You asked: could I use 25% of that fee as the amount of my damages as a result of their unexplained non-renewal of my subscription?

You could use that presuming that you can prove they had either a contractual obligation, or a legal obligation (I don't see this as a possibility) to renew your subscription.

You may reply to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I can address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen so that I can be compensated for helping you. I am not an employee of the site and I am only paid when you rate my service to you. There is no cost to you related to your rating my service to you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

I do not have a copy of the contract in front of me at this time but because I have been a subscriber to this service for at least 15 years, have used them for attorney referrals and advisories multiple times in years past, have always been renewed when the annual subscription fee came due -- I came to MATERIALLY RELY on this service for their continued service which they have now unreasonably denied. Based on material reliance, would I have grounds for a case against them for damages?

Reliance does not create a legal obligation under the law. Again, this is 100% a contract matter---nothing more and nothing less.

Doug

Good afternoon,

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney