Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Need a lawyer who is licensed to practice tax law in IL and…

need a lawyer who is...
need a lawyer who is licensed to practice tax law in IL and who is well versed with the IDOR business registration denial procedure becuase of funds owed to the state of IL.
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/11/2017
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

We are not permitted to represent JA customers. However, if there is a specific legal question you would like for us to answer for the deposit you have posted, please let us know. Or, if you need help locating a list of lawyers that may do this type of work in your area we can assist you with that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a specific situation I need answers for - wasn't looking for representation in court, at least not yet

*Can you please give us more background information so we can better assist you?

*Can you please state your specific legal question so we know what type of answer you are looking for?

*What have you tried on this front so far?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am trying to start a new business in IL. I had an old business that I had to close becuase of a lawsuit and I ended up settling before trial and have a sizable judgement levied against me. I owe the state of IL some back taxes - less than 1500.00 I think - and was discussing a pmt plan with them. However, today I received a letter saying they denied my certificate of registration for sales tax for my new business becuase I owe back taxes and that each day I operate my new business without this certifcate is a sepaerate legal offense punishabel by fines, imprisonment,and/or in junctions. Thye also said that unless I file a protest agaisnt this within 20 days form the date of the letter (letter dated may 5th) that the denail will become permanent. A scan of the letter is attached
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
actually the business has been operating for awhile - I registered the sole prop in Nov of 2016. Its 99.9% e-commerece with no store front and very very few sales in IL. When I hired an accountant to do my taxes she told I had to request this sales tax certificate so I did.

I am signing off for the evening but should be back to assist you tomorrow....

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what am I supposed to do? how do I respond? if I dont file a protest within 20 days then does that mean I cannot ever get a tax registration? am I alowed to operate my business without this as long as I dont sell anything in IL?

1. am I alowed to operate my business without this as long as I dont sell anything in IL?

You must register with the Illinois Department of Revenue if you conduct business in Illinois, or with Illinois customers. Since you are located in IL, the answer to your question is "No."

2. what am I supposed to do? how do I respond?

File the protest within the time alloted if you have a defense. If not, you may need to borrow the money to pay what is owed.

3. if I dont file a protest within 20 days then does that mean I cannot ever get a tax registration?

No, but you will need to comply with whatever they request in the future and will have waived your right to appeal any denial to a court of law.

I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear, but I am assuming that you are paying for a professional and honest answer.

Note: Just Answer’s site disclaimer apply to all services including premium services. This information may not be correct, complete or reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction. Please do not act or fail to act based on it alone. Most follow-up questions are answered within 24 hours. Please assign a feedback rating when we are done so JA will compensate me for this answer. Thank you.

Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
an honest and professional answer was what I wanted- thank you very much.

You are welcome. You can reach me again in the future by starting your new questions with “This is for Maverick”. Thank you for using Just Answer!

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney