Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

A high school friend of mine introduced me to this job,

Customer Question
Hello! A high school friend...
Hello! A high school friend of mine introduced me to this job, asking me to act on behalf of their company to perform certain tasks including an advertisement deal, an office rental and a company registration. The client is a foreign bitcoin insurance company looking to set up a branch in New York. I would like to know what type of legal protection I need to perform as an acting representative. Thank you!
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New York
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Business Law
5/11/2017
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What this sounds like is a scam like almost everything else in the US involving bitcoin is. It is where they will claim to send you payments to process and then you send them the money, except that the payments will eventually bounce or will be claimed to be fraudulent and you would personally be out of the money and liable for it. There is no legal protection for that. This type of scam typically uses the names of many popular companies. If this company is legitimate, then they would open a branch company here in the US and open their own bank accounts in their own company name and bring you on as an employee to work for them, paying you a salary. Otherwise, if they are asking you to open your own company, the liability is on you and once you send them the money you are legally liable if there is any fraud and typically in the set up you describe there is always some type of fraudulent conduct.
If they are legitimate, then they will have no problem getting you to sent their company up here in the US and then open bank accounts for their company in their name and not your name and then employ you and pay you salary or wages or commission to avoid the bank coming after you if there is any fraud.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney