Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Counselor at Law.
7286322

I was issued a tortious interference letter in regards to

Customer Question

I was issued a tortious interference letter in regards ***** ***** items and reselling them. Is their claims legitimate and should we take the threat seriously?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site.

Can you upload the letter, and, tell me if what the letter is stating is 100% true?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Letter has been uploaded. We were unaware of the contracts the manufacture had with authorized dealers.
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.

One second while I review, please.

Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.

Thank you. I would take this letter seriously. This company is known to protect its rights very much, and they may pursue legal action.

Tortious interference, also known as intentional interference with contractual relations, in the common law of torts, occurs when one person intentionally damages someone else's contractual or business relationships with a third party causing economic harm.

By not being a reseller, one is interfering with their contract with actual authorized resellers, and may be sued.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your utmost satisfaction. If I have done this, please rate with five stars and click FINISH. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. It does not cost anything extra to rate. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What economic harm am I causing with the parties. If I'm purchasing the product from an authorized dealer at asking price and have no special agreements or pricing with the dealer I see no different from being the end user.
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.

Well - that is up to the Judge or Jury. You may very well win the case if they sue. However, the point is that they have enough to attempt to sue. If you feel about $20,000 in legal fees is a risk you are wiling to take to defend yourself, then you may call their bluff. But the point is, unauthorized retailers may be liable under such cases. I am sorry.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click FINISH to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating.