Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Amendments. Bylaws of this corporation may be adopted,

amended or repealed by the...
Amendments. Bylaws of this corporation may be adopted, amended or repealed by the vote or written consent of either (i) the board of directors or (ii) the shareholders entitled to exercise a majority of the voting power of the corporation; provided, however:. . . (b) After the issuance of any shares in this corporation, a bylaw specifying or changing a fixed number of directors, or the maximum or minimum number, or changing from a fixed to a variable board or vice versa may not be adopted by the board of directors.”Does this mean that it may not be adopted or the change is prohibited? The board wants to increase the number of directors (by one) and will ask shareholders for approval through written consent. It is certain that the shareholders will approve unanimously.
5/9/2017
J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

"(b) After the issuance of any shares in this corporation, a bylaw specifying or changing a fixed number of directors, or the maximum or minimum number, or changing from a fixed to a variable board or vice versa may not be adopted by the board of directors."

Only the Shareholders of the corporation may vote to increase the number of Board of Directors. Any resolution by consent must be from the Shareholders approving the adoption of the amendment to the bylaws. A Board may request this amendment and the Shareholders may resolve to amend the bylaws by unanimous written consent.

See https://www.allbusiness.com/asset/2015/02/3.3-Action-by-Written-Consent-of-Shareholders.pdf

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which truthfully addresses your question. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time.

J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
J. Warren
J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney