Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Our church bylaws have a process for putting together a

nominating committee for new board...
Our church bylaws have a process for putting together a nominating committee for new board members that begins with choosing a couple of voting members, a selecting a trustee and adding the minister to create the team. The process is supposed to start 4 months in advance of the annual meeting. The committee formed but didn't follow the process. The annual meeting is 15 days away. As board president, I want to ask the voting members to waive the committee formation rules in the bylaws this one time. I have to mail notices of changes to the bylaws 10 days in advance of the meeting. The bylaws speak of making changes to bylaws with the 10 day notice and 3/4s vote of approval of the voting members present. It is okay to create a waiver to the process for this one time this way? Would the bylaws actually be modified by a waiver by adding an appendix or is this just a vote for permission to act? Is it legal?
4/23/2017
Infolawyer, Attorney
Bylaws need to be followed. Bylaws generally provide for amendment by majority vote. Unless that vote happens an action that is inconsistent with the bylaws is void.
If I can clarify or explain anything further, just ask me. kindly rate me 5 stars.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't want to permanently amend the bylaws. I want to use the process for amendment. Can I use it for a one time fix? A waiver for this one time without amending the bylaws permanently?
it is regularly done this way!
Infolawyer, Attorney