Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
94475420

How can i get rid of businesses partner that doesn't

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: How can i get rid of businesses partner that doesn't preform
JA: What state are you in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: VA
JA: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?
Customer: I have an attorney who prepared our partner agreement
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing has filed yet. Wanted to know how the process works
Category: Business Law
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We have a 60/40 partnership. I hold the majority.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello. I though this was a live chat.
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 6 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank You for posting your question to just answer today. This is attorney Bill offering legal information specific to your concerns.

A partnership can be wound up siting irreconcilable differences as an involuntary partnership dissolution.

The partnership agreement may contain provisions in case of a business relationship being no longer possible between the partners and the ability of one partner to buy out the other.

Similarly in lieu of ordering a wind up a judge can order that the partner buy out the other partner after a fair appraisal of its worth.

More information about winding up and other alternatives is available from the State Corporation Division

https://www.scc.virginia.gov/clk/formfee.aspx

Please be patient for my follow up and answer when you request additional clarification or information and REMEMBER TO RATE POSITIVELY TODAY FOR THE INFORMATION RECEIVED.

Please remember to rate positively my response before exiting.

THIS IS HOW I GET A CREDIT FOR MY TIME AND RESPONSE

SO I HOPE YOU RATE 5 STARS TODAY

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If you have the majority share doses it mean that the law gives you first priority to buy out? We have a 60/40 deal

The partnership Act provides the following:

"

Events causing dissolution and winding up of partnershipbusiness.

A partnership is dissolved, and its business shall be wound up, only upon theoccurrence of any of the following events:

1. In a partnership at will, the partnership's having notice from a partner,other than a partner who is dissociated under subdivisions 2 through 12 of 50-73.109, of that partner's express will to withdraw as a partner, on alater date specified by the partner in the notice or, if no later date isspecified, the date of notice;

2. In a partnership for a definite term or particular undertaking:

a. Within 90 days after a partner's dissociation by death or otherwise undersubdivisions 6 through 12 of 50-73.109 or wrongful dissociation undersubsection B of 50-73.110, the express will of at least one half of theremaining partners to wind up the partnership's business, for which purpose apartner's rightful dissociation pursuant to subdivision B 2 a of 50-73.110constitutes the expression of that partner's will to wind up the partnershipbusiness;

b. The express will of all of the partners to wind up the partnershipbusiness; or

c. The expiration of the term or the completion of the undertaking;

3. An event agreed to in the partnership agreement resulting in the windingup of the partnership business;

4. An event that makes it unlawful for all or substantially all of thebusiness of the partnership to be continued, but a cure of illegality within90 days after notice to the partnership of the event is effectiveretroactively to the date of the event for purposes of this section;

5. On application by a partner, a judicial determination that:

a. The economic purpose of the partnership is likely to be unreasonablyfrustrated;

b. Another partner has engaged in conduct relating to the partnershipbusiness which makes it not reasonably practicable to carry on the businessin partnership with that partner; or

c. It is not otherwise reasonably practicable to carry on the partnershipbusiness in conformity with the partnership agreement; or

6. On application by a transferee of a partner's transferable interest, ajudicial determination that it is equitable to wind up the partnershipbusiness:

a. After the expiration of the term or completion of the undertaking, if thepartnership was for a definite term or particular undertaking at the time ofthe transfer or entry of the charging order that gave rise to the transfer; or

b. At any time, if the partnership was a partnership at will at the time ofthe transfer or entry of the charging order that gave rise to the transfer."

Hence, if one partner doesn't voluntarily dissociate you will need a judicial determination.

I have opened up your call request as I can't take it this moment.

SO I HOPE YOU RATE 5 STARS TODAY

Thanks

Attorney Bill